Cannabis Campaigners' Guide News Database result:


After you have finished reading this article you can click here to go back.

UK: Clarke promises health campaign on cannabis

Matthew Tempest

The Guardian

Thursday 05 Jan 2006

---
The home secretary, Charles Clarke, today promised a major public
education programme about the health and legality of cannabis, as a
decision loomed on whether to reverse a downgrading in the drug's
classification.

Mr Clarke said he was "very worried" about links with schizophrenia,
after spending Christmas reading a review of the medical complications
associated with new higher-strength varieties of cannabis.

He admitted there was public confusion about the legal status of the
drug, following predecessor David Blunkett's decision to downgrade it to
a class C offence in 2003 - although penalties for possession and supply
of class C drugs were simultaneously increased.

Just before last year's general election, in what some criticised as a
move to nullify the issue, Mr Clarke ordered the advisory committee on
the misuse of drugs to revaluate the evidence linking the drug with
mental illness, in the light of higher strength "skunk" varieties from
the Netherlands and home-grown producers in the UK. Today he said he was
"very worried" about new medical evidence linking cannabis consumption
with mental health problems.

That is an indication he may be prepared to restore cannabis to class B,
although today he would only reveal one of the report's recommendations
- to commit to a new public health education programme on the drug.

Speaking to the Times, Mr Clarke said that Mr Blunkett's decision to
downgrade the drug had left people confused about the potential impact
of the consumption of cannabis.

Over the Christmas break, the home secretary considered the report of a
special advisory group he commissioned to assess the latest medical
opinion on the effects of cannabis.

Though he declined to discuss the report's contents in detail, he said
he would accept a key recommendation to step up education about the
effects of cannabis and its legal status.

And he said it was significant how many supporters of reclassification
have changed their minds in the light of new medical evidence.

"I'm very struck by the advocacy of a number of people who have been
proposers of the reclassification of cannabis that they were wrong," he
told the Times.

"I am also very worried about the most recent medical evidence on mental
health. This is a very serious issue."

Asked whether Mr Blunkett's decision to downgrade cannabis had led to
confusion, Mr Clarke responded: "Yes. People do not understand the
impact of the consumption of cannabis well enough and what the legal
consequences of consuming cannabis are."

He promised to take action to reverse the alarming lack of knowledge
about the health dangers of cannabis, which has been linked in some
studies to schizophrenia and other mental problems.

"Whatever happens after this, let me reveal one recommendation of the
advisory committee - which they make very, very strongly - which is a
renewed commitment to public education about the potential effects of
the consumption of cannabis and the legal status of cannabis," he said.

"That is well made and I will accept it."

Under Mr Blunkett's reclassification, cannabis remained illegal and
users could be sentenced to up to two years in jail for possession of
the drug and dealers to up to 14.

But police were advised that most cases where people were found in
possession of small quantities of cannabis should result in a warning
and confiscation of the drug, rather than an arrest. This led to the
widespread perception that its use had effectively been decriminalised.

Advocates of reclassification argued that it would allow police to
concentrate their attentions on tackling the use of more serious and
harmful drugs.

Asked today if the downgrading of cannabis had served any useful
purpose, Mr Clarke said: "I think it gives a steer to the citizen on
more serious drug consumption."

The Liberal Democrats, who backed the original downgrading, warned Mr
Clarke not to bow to "tabloid pressure" on the issue.

The party's home affairs spokesman, Mark Oaten, said: "The case for
treating drugs in different categories remains very strong and unless
the advisory body make a strong argument to change this, the government
should resist reclassification."

David Davis, the shadow home secretary, who urged reclassifying cannabis
upwards in his leadership campaign, merely cautioned waiting for the
advisory board report.

 

 

 

After you have finished reading this article you can click here to go back.




This page was created by the Cannabis Campaigners' Guide.
Feel free to link to this page!