Cannabis Campaigners' Guide News Database result:


After you have finished reading this article you can click here to go back.

UK: I'll smoke cannabis despite what courts say

Lincolnshire Echo

Saturday 28 May 2005

-----
A Disabled father-of-three has vowed to continue smoking cannabis to
ease his pain - despite judges ruling there is no defence for using the
illegal drug.

Barry Quayle says using the drug is the only way he can relieve the pain
he suffers after having both his legs amputated at the knee after a fall.

Yesterday three judges threw out Mr Quayle's appeal against his
conviction for cultivating cannabis. The judges, who considered Mr
Quayle's case alongside five other similar claims at London's Appeal
Court, ruled that an old common law defence of "necessity" could not be
used to defend the use of cannabis.

Mr Quayle (38), of Arlington Road, Newtoft, near Market Rasen, was
convicted after police raided his home on November 9, 2002 and found he
was growing cannabis plants for his own use. He pleaded guilty and was
given a four-month suspended sentence.

Mr Quayle is already facing another prosecution for possession of
cannabis, which magistrates had been waiting to hear until the result of
his appeal.

But he is determined none of that will stop him using the drug.

"If it means that eventually I'll end up in prison then I will go to
prison," Mr Quayle said.

"I do not smoke joints 24/7. I smoke in the evening when I have removed
my prosthesis. It helps the pain in my joints, muscles and nerves.

"My only other option is to take medication that knocks me out. I am a
single parent with three children. Two of them are disabled. If I have
to be

knocked out to sleep then they are at risk.

"I think that it's really sad that the law would take a political stance
rather than taking into consideration the needs of people with long-term
suffering who can gain relief this way."

There are now plans to take the case to the nation's highest court, the
House of Lords.

Legalise Cannabis Alliance spokesman Don
Barnard said: "I have to say I am not surprised but I am annoyed that
these three learned judges should bring such a ludicrous decision forward.

"We now have a clear ruling on medical necessity not being available as
a defence for cannabis possession, cultivation or importation. This is
subject to an appeal to the House of Lords.

"In the meantime I believe the Government should be considering
exemptions for genuinely sick people who are using cannabis much the
same as they do for disabled people who suffer discomfort wearing a
seatbelt.

"Regardless of all this juries still have the right to bring in not
guilty verdicts. I would be saying to people who are subject to jury
duty 'you can change the law if you believe that the person is telling
the truth and using it for medicinal purposes'."

In announcing the appeal decision Lord Justice Mance said that to allow
a wide-ranging defence of medical necessity to cannabis charges "would
involve a positive invitation to the jury to act contrary to the law and
take over the role of the legislative authorities".

 

 

 

After you have finished reading this article you can click here to go back.




This page was created by the Cannabis Campaigners' Guide.
Feel free to link to this page!