Cannabis Campaigners' Guide News Database result:


After you have finished reading this article you can click here to go back.

UK: Cannabis will not be reclassified, Clarke says

Jenny Booth and PA News

The Times

Thursday 19 Jan 2006

---
Charles Clarke said today that cannabis would not be reclassified as a
Class B drug again, despite conceding a link with mental illness and
labelling the substance "anything but harmless".

While pledging to launch a public information campaign on the dangers of
cannabis use, Mr Clarke said that reclassification had not led to an
increase in use.

David Blunkett, his predecessor as Home Secretary, downgraded cannabis
from a Class B to a Class C drug in 2001.

Mr Clarke told MPs that he had been guided by a report by the Advisory
Council on the Misuse of Drugs (ACMD). "I have decided to accept the
Advisory Council’s recommendation, which is supported by the police and
by most drugs and mental health charities, to keep the current
classification of cannabis," he said.

David Davis, the Shadow Home Secretary, said that he was "frankly
disappointed" by the decision.

"I am frankly disappointed that, in the light of all the new evidence
available, he has not decided to grasp the nettle and reclassify
cannabis back to a B class drug.

"This ongoing confused message will lead some to continue thinking
cannabis is a safe, 'soft', drug. It will mean that many more young
lives will be damaged by the pernicious trade in this dangerous drug,"
he said.

Mr Clarke said that he accepted that cannabis could trigger or
exacerbate serious mental health problems including schizophrenia.

He said that he means to overhaul the way drugs are classified and
prohibited, after concern that the existing system - of Class A, B and C
substances - had caused some people to misinterpret the downgrading of
cannabis.

He also announced that the ACMD will carry out a new inquiry into the
classification of "date-rape" drugs, including GHB and Rohypnol.

Concerns about a link between super-strength cannabis varieties and
mental illness have mounted since the down-grading of the drug took
effect in January 2004, making cannabis possession a non-arrestable
offence in most cases.

Mr Clarke said that he will launch a major public information campaign
to stress that cannabis was "anything but harmless".

He also said that draft guidelines published in November which would
have allowed people to carry up to half a kilogram of leaf cannabis for
"personal use" will be altered.

"I would like to inform the House that my final decision will be at a
considerably lower threshold than the 500g suggested in the current
consultation," he said.


He announced a new initiative to arrest cannabis producers and dealers.
"The police and I agree that in recent years, the production and dealing
of cannabis have not always been targeted sufficiently vigorously and we
have agreed that this needs to change," Mr Clarke said.

Insisting that growing and selling the drug was "not harmless or
idealistic", he pledged to target "sophisticated and violent criminals"
who distribute the drug.

David Cameron, the new Tory leader, was a member of the Commons
committee which recommended down-grading it and his party is no longer
calling for reclassification.

Andy Hayman, the drugs spokesman for Association of Chief Police
Officers, said that Acpo backed Mr Clarke's decision, and promised
vigorous action against cannabis growers and dealers.

"The statement made today acknowledges the need to ensure the robust
enforcement of the commercial and large scale production of cannabis,"
said Mr Hayman, an Assistant Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police.

"Dealing at a serious and organised crime level will be targeted in an
attempt to cut supply and ultimately the consumption that we now know
from the ACMD’s findings pose a serious risk of harm."

He added that Acpo would review the guidelines on drugs enforcement that
it issued to police forces.

But Jan Berry, chairwoman of the Police Federation which represents
frontline officers, criticised the decision. She said: "We remain
convinced that it was wrong to change the classification of cannabis
from a Class B to Class C drug in the first instance.

"Changing it back would have been a much stronger message than any
advertising campaign could ever deliver. Possession of cannabis and
possession with intent to supply remain offences and will be policed as
such."

A leading drugs information charity praised Mr Clarke for making the
right decision. Martin Barnes, the DrugScope chief executive, said:
"Cannabis is harmful but less so than Class B drugs, and there is no
evidence that a move back to B would reduce levels of use.

"Since reclassification there had been a small decrease in cannabis use,
particularly among young people, and the police are better able to focus
on tackling even more harmful drugs.

"There was some initial confusion following reclassification but the
vast majority of people now realise that cannabis is illegal and not
harmless."

 

 

 

After you have finished reading this article you can click here to go back.




This page was created by the Cannabis Campaigners' Guide.
Feel free to link to this page!