Cannabis Campaigners' Guide News Database result:


After you have finished reading this article you can click here to go back.

UK: Cannabis offenders face 'three strikes' rule

Stewart Tendler, Crime Correspondent

Times On Line

Tuesday 30 Nov 1999

---
Cannabis users will be arrested and charged if they are found in
possession of the drug three times, under new guidelines.

Police forces are also being told to improve their intelligence systems
so that officers questioning suspects can radio their control rooms and
apply the “three strikes” rule if the user has already been warned twice.

The Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo) denied yesterday that
the change had been prompted by users escaping with repeated warnings
rather than prosecution, but there was a fear that it could become a
loophole.

In the guidance, officers are told: “These guidelines do not encourage
the same offender being repeatedly warned for possession of cannabis.
Where it can be verified that an offender has received two previous
cannabis warnings then a further warning should not be considered.”

A similar “three strikes” policy was originally proposed by Acpo in
September 2002. The proposal was scrapped before the system of warning
for suspects caught in possession of personal amounts of cannabis was
introduced.

Under the guidance sent out to all forces in the past few days, children
under the age of 18 caught smoking cannabis will no longer be
automatically arrested.

The guidelines say that officers should find “less intrusive” ways of
dealing with under-18s, such as escorting them home.

Martin Barnes, of DrugScope, the advice group, said: “We welcome the new
guidance, which strikes the right balance between personal possession of
small amounts of the drug and the offence of supply.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2561014,00.html

 

 

 

After you have finished reading this article you can click here to go back.




This page was created by the Cannabis Campaigners' Guide.
Feel free to link to this page!