Cannabis Campaigners' Guide News Database result:


After you have finished reading this article you can click here to go back.

UK: New Police Guidelines On Cannabis

David Barrett, Home Affairs Correspondent

PA News

Friday 12 Sep 2003

---
New police guidelines on how to deal with cannabis users have not set a
"personal use" limit, it emerged today.

The Association of Chief Police Officers issued the new rules because Home
Secretary David Blunkett will downgrade cannabis from Class B to Class C
early next year.

But the senior officers did not specify a maximum weight at which cannabis
smokers can claim their stash was for personal use.

The guidelines set out when officers will still be able to arrest people
caught with the drug, which will remain illegal.

ACPO's new guidance said that possession of cannabis would "ordinarily not
be an arrestable offence" although officers should use their discretion on
whether to arrest users of the drug.

However, people smoking cannabis in public should be arrested, the
guidelines said.

Those who local officers know have repeatedly been found with the drug
should also face arrest, it went on, although the idea of a
"three-strikes-and-you're-out" policy was dropped last year.
And those in possession of the drug inside or near places where there are
children - such as schools, youth clubs or play areas - should also face
arrest.

Another aggravating feature leading to arrest would be where users are
causing a "local policing problem" which is creating a "fear of public
disorder".

Mr Blunkett's decision to downgrade cannabis was designed to free police
time to target Class A drugs like heroin and crack.

ACPO drugs spokesman and Chief Constable of Norfolk Andy Hayman said:
"Following a period of consultation these guidelines have been developed to
provide police officers with straightforward operational guidance for
dealing with simple cases of possession by adult offenders.

"The proposed reclassification of cannabis will mean that officers will
still have a power of arrest for simple possession.

"In the spirit of the Home Secretary's decision to reclassify cannabis, the
new guidance recommends that there should be a presumption against arrest.

"In practice, this means that in the majority of cases officers will issue
a warning and confiscate the drug."

The guidelines published by ACPO today were just 600 words long.

But an additional document explained that setting a "personal use" limit
would lead to dealers simply carrying around amounts below the limit.

It would also be difficult for officers to determine weights or quantities
on the street, it added.

The way under-18s found in possession of cannabis are dealt with will
remain unchanged - they will receive a formal warning at a police station.

Adults will be given an on-the-spot warning and have the drugs confiscated
in a tamperproof, sealed and signed bag.

An officer who finds someone in possession of the drug would still have to
record the incident as a crime, the guidelines said.

"The reclassification of cannabis will allow police to focus more time and
resources on Class A drugs," said Mr Hayman.

"That said, despite reclassification, it remains illegal to possess
cannabis."

Mr Blunkett is expected to take final steps to reclassify cannabis early
next year once new powers of arrest and tougher sentences for dealers come into
force under the Criminal Justice Bill.

end

 

 

 

After you have finished reading this article you can click here to go back.




This page was created by the Cannabis Campaigners' Guide.
Feel free to link to this page!