|
Cannabis Campaigners' Guide News Database result:
|
|
UK: New cannabis guidelines are worst of both worlds
Conservatives.com
Friday 12 Sep 2003 A decision to liberalise the drugs laws and effectively remove the fear of prosecution from adult cannabis users has been condemned by Shadow Home Secretary Oliver Letwin. Under new guidelines, issued by the Association of Chief Police Officers with Government backing, and coming into force in the New Year, cannabis will be downgraded from Class B to Class C, so that people caught by the police with the drug will escape with a warning and confiscation. Plans for a three-strikes-and-you-are-out crackdown have been ditched, although anyone caught smoking pot in public will remain liable to arrest, as will under 17 year olds and those found in possession of cannabis near schools, youth clubs, and child play areas. Defending the shake-up, Home Office minister Caroline Flint said dealers would still face arrest and heavy penalties, while police chiefs claimed there was no evidence to suggest that the relaxed guidelines might encourage teenagers to smoke cannabis or try harder drugs. But with the changes giving the impression that cannabis had been legalised, Mr Letwin lashed out condemning the guidelines as "the worst of both worlds". The Shadow Home Secretary protested: "This is the worst of both worlds. There is a case for legalisation, and there is a case for getting people off drugs. What there is not a case for is making them semi-legal." Blaming the Labour Government for the introduction of complicated new rules, he told conservatives.com: "These guidelines are not clear, and will only cause further confusion for the police and for the public. This is not the fault of the police. It is the fault of the Home Secretary." 12/09/2003
After you have finished reading this article you can click here to go back.
|
This page was created by the Cannabis Campaigners' Guide.
Feel free to link to this page!