|
Cannabis Campaigners' Guide News Database result:
|
|
CN ON: Judge Allows Marijuana Ruling To Stand
ccguide Thursday 12 Jun 2003 Pubdate: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 Source: Ottawa Citizen (CN ON) Copyright: 2003 The Ottawa Citizen Contact: Website: http://www.canada.com/ottawa/ottawacitizen/ Details: http://www.mapinc.org/media/326 Author: Shannon Kari Bookmark: http://www.mapinc.org/mjcn.htm (Cannabis - Canada) Bookmark: http://www.mapinc.org/decrim.htm (Decrim/Legalization) JUDGE ALLOWS MARIJUANA RULING TO STAND Federal government loses bid to suspend decision that legalized drug TORONTO -- An Ontario Court of Appeal judge declined to suspend a lower court decision that found there is no law against marijuana possession in the province, despite the federal Justice Department's claim that the ruling has led to chaos and uncertainty. Yesterday, Justice Louise Charron said that the Justice Department was seeking an "unprecedented" order and she had no jurisdiction to suspend an acquittal imposed by a lower court. As a result of the Superior Court decision, possession of small amounts of marijuana in Ontario is legal and will remain so, until the federal government passes new legislation or the Court of Appeal ultimately overturns the lower court ruling. The appeal of that ruling has been scheduled for late July. However, Justice Department lawyer Peter DeFreitas argued that it is in the "public interest" to immediately suspend Justice Steven Rogin's decision, which upheld the lower court acquittal of a Windsor-area teenager on marijuana possession charges. "It is chaotic," said Mr. DeFreitas, in describing the state of marijuana possession prosecutions since the ruling was issued on May 16. "We have thousands of these charges in the system," he told Judge Charron. "There is complete uncertainty." If the federal government is successful in its appeal, Ontario's highest court can order a new trial for the defendant in the Windsor case and find that there is a law that bans possession of marijuana. But Judge Charron said it would be contrary to the established legal principle of stare decisis, where courts are bound by precedent, to suspend the Windsor ruling, pending the appeal. Mr. DeFreitas suggested the acquittal of the teen could stand, but the appeal court should stay Judge Rogin's finding that the offence of marijuana possession in Ontario is "not known to law." The Superior Court judge had ruled that there is no law, because the federal government failed to comply with a July 2000 Ontario Court of Appeal decision that gave Parliament one year to enact new marijuana possession legislation. The Windsor ruling is binding on all provincial courts in Ontario, where virtually all marijuana possession cases are heard. "Where is my jurisdiction to say those reasons are wrong and tell lower courts: Do not follow them for a while," said Judge Charron, in rejecting the Justice Department submission. Police forces across Ontario, including in Ottawa, said last week that they would continue to seize marijuana, but not lay new possession charges until the issue is resolved by the provincial Court of Appeal. Lawyer Brian McAllister, who represents the Windsor teen, said yesterday that police do not have the right to seize small amounts of marijuana from people who are not engaged in any suspected criminal conduct. The federal government is facing another marijuana-related deadline, as Health Canada has until July 9 to comply with a separate Ontario Superior Court judgment to provide a legal source of cannabis to people with medical exemptions. - --- MAP posted-by: Josh
After you have finished reading this article you can click here to go back.
|
This page was created by the Cannabis Campaigners' Guide.
Feel free to link to this page!