Cannabis Campaigners' Guide News Database result:


After you have finished reading this article you can click here to go back.

UK: Downgrading 'Sees Cannabis Arrests Fall'

David Barrett

The Scotsman

Monday 17 May 2004

---
The number of arrests for cannabis possession has fallen since the drug was
reclassified earlier this year, the Home Office claimed today.

Ministers said the move was "encouraging" but were unable to produce any
figures to back up the claim.

In 1999, 88,548 people were charged with cannabis offences, 90% of which
were for possession.

A Home Office spokeswoman said she could not publish data on the number of
people arrested for cannabis possession since the drug was downgraded to
the same category as anabolic steroids and prescription anti-depressants.

Data had been gathered from 11 police forces but it was "provisional and
unchecked", she said.

Drugs Minister Caroline Flint said: "Cannabis was reclassified to allow the
police to focus on tackling the Class A drugs which cause the most harm to
individuals, families and our communities.

"Early arrest figures are encouraging in terms of achieving this aim."

A Home Office spokeswoman said: "Early figures from police forces indicate
that the number of arrests for cannabis possession are falling.

"This will help the police and benefit the community by focusing police
time and resources on the most serious drugs and offences."

Fully checked data is due to be published in late summer, she added.

Separate research suggested a Home Office advertising campaign had been
successful in telling young people that cannabis remained illegal despite
January's reclassification from Class B to Class C.

It revealed the UKP1 million campaign, which ran earlier this year, found
93% of 14 to 17-year-olds surveyed knew that cannabis was illegal.

Ms Flint said: "I'm pleased that the 'Frank' adverts caught teenagers'
attention and helped them understand the change in the law and that
cannabis remains illegal and harmful.

"By the end of the campaign significantly more young people knew that they
would be arrested for possession and, encouragingly, fewer teenagers would
take cannabis if offered it.

"This is just the first phase of our drive to make sure people, of whatever
age know the dangers and side-effects of taking cannabis."

The Frank website and helpline are www.talktofrank.com and 0800 776600.

 

 

 

After you have finished reading this article you can click here to go back.




This page was created by the Cannabis Campaigners' Guide.
Feel free to link to this page!