Cannabis Campaigners' Guide News Database result:


After you have finished reading this article you can click here to go back.

UK: Cannabis march passes off peacefully

Lisa Cleverdon

East Anglian Daily Times

Monday 19 Jul 2004

---

A PRO-cannabis march involving an estimated 30 people went off peacefully
in Suffolk over the weekend despite fears the demonstration would lead to
violent confrontations.

Last week, the organiser of the "Smokey Bear's Picnic" march was condemned
for planning to lead the protestors close to playing fields used by young
children.

The local man, who did not want to be named, intended for the cannabis
users to smoke the drug as they walked from the railway station in Brandon
to the town's leisure centre during the event, which had been advertised on
a pro-cannabis website.

But on Saturday afternoon the organiser was nowhere to be seen as the group
of protestors peacefully carried out the march, completely avoiding the
area where children were playing.

Eddie Stewart, who serves on Forest Heath District Council and lives in
Brandon, said before Saturday's march that he was absolutely horrified the
protest would be staged in an area surrounded by children.

But last night he said he had been pleased with the way the march had been
carried out, and added he thought the youngsters were entitled to their own
opinion.

"There were a few teenagers, a lot of whom I recognised as local lads, who
walked across the far-side of the field adjacent to the leisure centre," he
said.

"The police were present and walked with the boys to make sure there was no
trouble, which there wasn't.

"If they are marching to legislate the use of cannabis then I don't really
think they are going to get very far with their campaign, but I do think
they are entitled to do it and I feel that everyone has got a right to
express their own opinions."

The "Smokey Bear" events began in California in the early 1970s and
gatherings have been held across Britain over the past few years.

In August 1999 Hampshire Police cracked down on a similar event and 30
people were arrested for possessing cannabis during the rally in Portsmouth.

Yesterday a spokeswoman for Suffolk police confirmed that 30 people had
attended the march, but said "there were no problems".

Officers refused to comment on whether any of the protestors had been
caught using cannabis.




 

 

 

After you have finished reading this article you can click here to go back.




This page was created by the Cannabis Campaigners' Guide.
Feel free to link to this page!