Cannabis Campaigners' Guide News Database result:


After you have finished reading this article you can click here to go back.

UK: Arrests for cannabis decline by a third

Nigel Morris

The Independent

Thursday 29 Jul 2004

---
Arrests for possessing cannabis have dropped by about a third since its
controversial downgrading from class B to class C in January.

Early figures from 26 of the 43 police forces in England and Wales suggest
that about 14,000 people will be fined this year for carrying the drug -
6,000 fewer than last year.

Officers are now instructed to deal with most cases of cannabis possession
by confiscating the drug and they no longer target home users.

The aim is to free police to deal with more dangerous drugs such as heroin
and cocaine. David Blunkett, the Home Secretary, has argued that the
relaxation will make drug laws more credible. The Home Office forecast last
night that the change in police tactics would save 180,000 hours of
officers' time this year.

Caroline Flint, a Home Office minister, said: "The police are spending less
time arresting people for possession of cannabis and filling in the
paperwork that goes along with it. This enables them to concentrate on the
class A drugs which cause most harm to society."

Recent research suggests that 33 per cent of men aged 16 to 24 and 21 per
cent of women have tried cannabis. But Ms Flint said: "We will continue to
educate young and vulnerable people about the dangers of using cannabis."

David Davis, the shadow Home Secretary, said yesterday: "How can parents be
expected to tell their children cannabis is bad when the Government treats
it as harmless?" He added that a Tory government would reverse the policy
"with immediate effect".

 

 

 

After you have finished reading this article you can click here to go back.




This page was created by the Cannabis Campaigners' Guide.
Feel free to link to this page!