Cannabis Campaigners' Guide News Database result:


After you have finished reading this article you can click here to go back.

UK: Drug Test School Receives First Results

James Tapsfield

PA News

Saturday 08 Jan 2005

---

The first results from a state school's controversial random drugs testing
scheme have been received, the headteacher said today.

At least 10 pupils aged between 11 and 18 were screened at the Abbey School
in Faversham, Kent, when the project started on Wednesday morning.

The students were picked by computer, before being taken to the sick room
and given mouth swabs by trained non-teaching staff.

The samples were then sent to a laboratory and examined for traces of drugs
such as cannabis, cocaine and ecstasy.

Headteacher Peter Walker said today that the results from the initial batch
of tests had already been returned.

"We have received the first results, but I am not releasing them until
after four weeks.

"Then we will publish a statistical breakdown of what we have found, for
the pupils and for the teachers who have also agreed to mouth swabs."

Mr Walker refused to say whether any pupils had tested positive, but
confirmed that 19 had been screened since Wednesday.

The scheme, thought to be the first of its kind at a state school, has been
criticised by civil liberties groups and drugs information charities, who
claim it is an invasion of privacy and could increase truancy.

However, Prime Minister Tony Blair, the Tory Party and the local council
have all offered their backing.

Mr Walker hopes it can help prevent young people falling victim to
substance abuse.

Recent research found that almost a third of 11-15 year-olds now admit to
trying illicit drugs, and other schools will be watching carefully to see
how the project fares.

The families of all 960 pupils at the Abbey School have been sent letters
asking for permission to carry out the tests, and 85% of the 701 replies
have supported the measure.

No students are forced to take the tests, but if they refuse their parents
will be brought in to discuss why.

Mr Walker has said that children who test positive do not necessarily face
expulsion, but those who deal drugs will.

No funds from the school budget have been used to set up the scheme.
Instead, the equipment and staff training has been sponsored by a tabloid
newspaper and Altrix Healthcare, the company which manufactures the mouth
swab kits.


 

 

 

After you have finished reading this article you can click here to go back.




This page was created by the Cannabis Campaigners' Guide.
Feel free to link to this page!